Just Go Left

What a Typical Saturday Looks Like in My House


My weeks are usually filled with running around and sitting in traffic so I like to think of Saturdays as my "me day". I make lots of time for self-care, and soak in lots of quality time with Kyle and Gatsby and, let's face it, I work on the blog a little too. So, I thought it might be fun to share what a typical Saturday looks like in my house. I love reading these types of posts because a.) I'm nosy like that and b.) because I love seeing what makes people tick and how they spend their time. 

I must, of course, thank Jenn from  Hello Rigby, for inspiring this post. If you want to read about her Saturday routine, click here

8:00-8:30 a.m. 

My Saturdays usually start between 8 and 8:30 a.m. Sadly, this is sleeping in for me, since I'm up at 5 a.m. on weekdays to go to the gym. Kyle works on Friday nights so I'm always the first one up, and I'll spend a few minutes scrolling through social media and checking emails before Gatsby wakes up and sits at the edge of the bed, staring me down because he knows Saturday is dog park day and I can't make him wait anymore.

9:00-9:45 a.m.

We're incredibly lucky to have a dog park in our neighborhood, and we take full advantage of it on the weekends. Gatsby likes to think of himself as the mayor, so no dog goes un-played with as long as he's around. While he's doing his mayor duties, I get to drink my first cup of coffee. After about 30-45 minutes, he comes to let me know he's tired and we walk home. 

10:00-11:00 a.m.

By the time we get home from the park, Kyle is usually up, and not a moment too soon because I'm about to gnaw my arm off out of hunger around this time. One of our favorite Saturday morning traditions is cooking breakfast (or brunch) together, since during the week we're always eating breakfast on the go. I usually make breakfast sandwiches (if you ask Kyle, he will tell you this is the best thing I make) and we'll catch up on our DVR'd shows (and by that I mean, I make him watch 90 Day Fiancee with me because holy shit I love that show so much) while we eat. We usually feed Gatsby around this time too (he doesn't like to eat right when he wakes up; something that took us a few months to learn) Somehow, I always talk Kyle into doing the breakfast dishes, and I get to pour myself another cup of coffee.

12:00-1:45 p.m.

Work Station.JPG

After brunch is cleaned up I set up my little weekend work station at the dining room table and start working. On this particular Saturday, I made our Thanksgiving grocery list (thanks Pinterest!) to take to Trader Joe's later in the afternoon. I usually do our grocery shopping on Sundays, but with the holiday coming up I wanted to get it done sooner than later, since I knew TJs would get crowded with the beginnings of last minute shoppers on Sunday. I also started my blog posts for the week, uploaded/edited some photos and caught up on a few of my favorite blogs. Oh and I was definitely blasting the new Adele CD the entire time I was working...I AM OBSESSED. 

2:00-3:15 p.m.

Probably the best part of my day: I went to Trader Joe's to do our Thanksgiving shopping. You guys, I'm almost embarrassed to tell you how much I love going to Trader Joe's. (Have you seen the new weekly Instagram post I started doing about Trader Joe's called #weeklytraderjoeswin?) Kyle and I have a very strict grocery budget and we can always get enough food for two people for an entire week UNDER BUDGET at Trader Joe's. I effing LOVE Trader Joe's. 

Ps: I got everything on my list for Thanksgiving, Gatsby's food/treats and some little extras for $86.00. (!!!!)

3:30-4:30 P.M.

By the time I got home from TJs, Kyle had gone to work. Gatsby is usually getting antsy around this time, so I take him for another walk. On this particular Saturday we walked about 3.5 miles, which ensures I can work the rest of the day without interruption.

Apparently this was better than watching the USC Trojans game because by the time we got home and I turned the game on we were getting our asses kicked and I could only handle about 20 minutes before I turned it off in anger. 

The rest of my Saturday usually looks like this:

  • Working on blog posts.
  • Popping on a face mask (my favorite is the Biore Self-Heating One Minute Mask) while I work.
  • Taking a long bath with lavender Epsom Salts and reading a book. (Currently reading "The Good Girl", a recommendation from Amber!)
  • Catching up with friends back home via FaceTime.
  • Spending way too much time on Snapchat and Instagram.

Lately, my Saturday ends with some hot chocolate and a cheesy Hallmark Holiday movie.....and to bed by 10 or 11 p.m. 

What is your favorite way to spend a Saturday?