A note from Ashten:
There's nothing better than reconnecting with an old friend from high school and realizing you have a shared passion. Jen and I were great friends in high school (we used to ditch class together to get Jack In The Box), and I was her Spanish TA during my Senior Year! Jen and I recently reconnected and realized we had a shared passion for blogging and helping people, and have been hoping to work together ever since. I was recently featured on her blog (read her post about me here) and today I'm thrilled I get to share her writing with you.
How often do you find yourself showing love to others (partner, friends, children, clients, animals, or the checker at the grocery store)? This could be in the form of a compliment, a gift, hugs, etc. Now, how often do you show yourself that same type of love? I’m going to assume that it isn’t nearly as much as the previous. Why is that? The only answer I can come up with is that we are human, and as humans, we tend to put others before ourselves.
Self-love is one of the topics my clients and I discuss the most, and it’s definitely something that I am very passionate about and am still exploring on a daily basis (nobody’s perfect). Think of it this way, if you’ve ever been on an airplane you’re probably familiar with the oxygen mask demo, right? The flight attendent demonstrates how we must put on the mask properly before we can help others. Well, let’s apply that to life in general. We must take loving care of ourselves before we can give that loving care.
Here are a few examples of ways to show yourself love:
- Breathe. Sounds simple right? Try doing it for 20 minutes. Nothing else. Just sit and breathe.
- Give/receive a hug.
- Write it out. Journal, blog, keep a gratitude list, these are all ways of letting it out.
- Give yourself a compliment. This can be as simple as “My hair looks great today,” to “I’m a present listener.”
- Ask for help. This is huge for me! Sometimes, just asking for help with the tiniest of things is the biggest relief.
- Take a bubble bath, and relax.
- Get a massage.
- Do some deep stretching or yoga. Yoga is especially loving on the body, mind and spirit.
- Take time to make a delicious meal, and have fun while doing it! Not only does this feed the body, but it nurtures the soul.
- Most importantly, actually tell yourself that you love yourself!
These are just a few simple things I like to do to show myself love. What are some things that you enjoy doing? I’d love to hear!
Jennifer Seale is a certified Holistic Health Practitioner (health and wellness coach) and licensed Spiritual Practitioner. She guides those who want to love themselves, heal their relationship between food and their body, and live their best life possible! Jennifer is also a blogger, truth-seeker, recipe developer, coffee enthusiast, and lover of life. She lives in Pasadena, CA with her partner Greg, and fur-baby Charlie.
Connect with Jen: